SQL SPN Alert

This alert seems to come up regularly. If you search for it then this post from 2012 by Marnix Wolf comes up saying just to disable the alert.

http://thoughtsonopsmgr.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/scom-r2-alert-sql-server-cannot.html

I would have thought it would have been fixed by now. I am using version 6.4.1.0 of the SQL MP. I tried to do it from the alert help and it seemed to work so when I pushed some more agents out and a couple of new alerts appeared from 2 more SQL Servers. I tried the setspn command again but this time it did not work with the following error:-

Unknown parameter MSSQLSvc/ServerFQDN:1433.  Please check your usage.

After some searching I came across this page on Technet. “How to Configure an SPN for SQL Server Site Database Servers” http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb735885.aspx

It was not so much the article but a comment from Asif Shafi that provided the answer – “Do not copy and paste syntax from this article as it has invalid characters”.

He provided a couple of examples and I copied those and inserted my server and account details in and this time it work straight away.

That was weird as I copied the original details to notepad first and then copied them into a command line. From my Notepad file I copied and pasted another server and got the same error. But when I typed it exactly as it was in Notepad it worked. I am perplexed how strange characters or formatting can get into Notepad. And I tried copying the faulty line into Notepad++ as well with the same results.

I did some further investigation and it turned out to be the dash in front of the A. So if you get this error try the command again but delete the dash and type the dash in again. That sorted it on the copy and paste I tried. In a few minutes the alerts disappeared. But at least I now know a way that works and clears the alert.

Note that if you run the command (with the right characters) again you will get the following error “Duplicate SPN found, aborting operation!” and your SPN will be left as is.

You may also see information on using ADSIEdit as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319723. I did not try this method but I have used this method before on the SCOM service as proposed by Kevin Holman.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2007/12/13/system-center-operations-manager-sdk-service-failed-to-register-an-spn.aspx

Advertisements

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: